The Seven Churches
- Ephesus was covered in last week’s lesson. Did Ephesus make a good choice for the first church in this discussion? If “yes,” why?
- Smyrna. How was the church in Smyrna affected by the Diocletian persecution? What, if any, were the consequences?
- Pergamos. Describe the advice of the “Nicolaitans” and what it had to do with compromise.
- Thyatira. In what way(s) was Thyatira most influenced by negative forces within the church rather than from the outside?
- Sardis. What huge advantage did Sardis have in protecting their city? Why did this church become spiritually dead?
- Philadelphia. In Revelation 3:10-13, what does God tell us about the speed of His coming? Can a person just “pray for salvation” and not think about anything else? Explain.
- Laodicea. Wouldn’t you rather get stuck somewhere in warm, shallow water than in bubbling hot or ice cold water? Which would the Laodiceans prefer?
- Today. What is the state of the church you attend today? What can you do to improve it?
- Discuss. The lesson ends with three excellent discussion questions. As the class leader or teacher, you might want to begin with this section of the lesson!