[Thought questions for The Cosmic Conflict Over God's Character December 18, 2013]
1.The big picture. Can knowing about the great controversy between Christ and Satan bring meaning to your own existence? How? The sanctuary is a living example of the plan or strategy to win this controversy. Do you see this plan in every symbol and operation of the sanctuary?
1. “I saw another angel.” What do the messages of the three angels of Revelation have in common? Or are their messages distinct and different? How do the angels communicate their urgent messages with believers on Planet Earth? Would you rather see them flying in the sky shouting the message? Or broadcasting from a celestial Powerpoint or hand-held device placed in each hand? What are some advantages [...]
Introduction. You’ll find a lot of unique Adventist theology packed into this week’s lesson. The “little horn,” for example. Even if you don’t agree that papal Rome is the little horn, you can hold on to the doctrine that Jesus is first and last and that He is not pleased when “innovations” from secular or pagan sources replace His the all-powerful, continual ministry in the heavenly sanctuary and in our hearts.
[Thought questions for The Eschatological Day of Atonement December 3, 2013]
1. Good news. Do you ever consider how the visions Daniel saw compared with the movies and videos and amazing cinematography of our day? How did Daniel describe what he saw so that others could understand the sequence of events that would bring ‘good news’ to succeeding generations? Imagine you were Daniel and this was your vision. How does the sequence of events in Daniel’s visions provide ‘good news’ for you? Who are the ‘people of the saints of the Highest One’, [...]
1. We have a high priest. Would our church be accepted by more people if we had priests over us? Why or why not? Why was Christ inaugurated as the high priest after, not before, His crucifixion? Since Christ is God, how can you and I, being the mere mortals that we are, understand how Christ stands at the right hand of God? How does Jesus’ ministry as [...]
1. Substitution. Have you ever been a teacher or held another position where your work was essential that if you couldn’t be there, a substitute had to be found? Does that substitute sometimes prove to be of lesser ability? By contrast, in what ways is Jesus the infinitely superior substitute? What part do humility and obedience play in the substitution of His death for ours? What concept of [...]
1. Our High Priest. Who were the only two human participants in the Day of Atonement? Why were the other priests required to leave the immediate area? Can you think of at least one reason why the priest performed every ritual alone? What did the laying aside of his ornamental and symbolic clothing stand for? Is there a spiritual significance to his garment being made of [...]
1. What redeems us. We sing “redeemed by the blood of the Lamb.” Do the molecules and other ingredients that make up the blood of a lamb redeem us? What does? Why did God point the people to the ritual of slaying a lamb to represent the elements of forgiveness and redemption? Why didn’t he choose a calf? Or a kitten?
[Thought questions for Lessons From the Sanctuary October 23, 2013]
1. “Let them construct a sanctuary for Me, that I may dwell among them.” Exodus 25:8 NASB. Just a dozen words, but think of the answers we would have found to the following questions if we’d been in the group: Who are we building this sanctuary for? Why? Who’s going to build it? Why do we need it? Why do we have to build it? Couldn’t God just create a sanctuary? In [...]
1. We will return. Three days and many steps after God’s command to offer his son, Abraham stood where he could see the mountain. It was here Abraham puts a voice to his own faith as he speaks to the two young men who came with them. God would, indeed, provide. Gen. 22:5 He told them that he AND the lad [...]