[Thought questions for The Law of God and the Law of Christ May 21, 2014]
1. The law of God and the law of Christ. Are we guided by two laws? One the law of the God eternal and almighty, the other of Christ the Saviour? If you think so, what is different about these two laws? During Jesus’ ministry on earth, which law did He follow and preach? Why?
[Thought Questions for Christ, the End of the Law May 14, 2014]
Intro. Read the title of this week’s lesson again. What does it mean that Christ is the “end” of the law? Hasn’t the law existed forever? Don’t we love God’s law in the same way the psalmist David did? Doesn’t the law reflect the character of Christ? Then how can Christ be the end of it? Take a long hard look at this week’s lesson because there are blessings around […]
[Thought questions for Christ’s Death and the Law May 7, 2014]
Intro. Are you like me in that you dread reading or hearing about how cruel people were to the kindest Being in the universe? If Jesus had gone around beating people up and knocking them around, that would be one thing, but did He ever do anything that wasn’t an expression of love? Love for all? Love all the time? Was there ever a more gentle Person than Jesus? Why, oh why […]
[Thought questions for Christ and the Sabbath April 29, 2014]
1. Introduction. Do you know someone who keeps the first day (Sunday) the same way Adventists keep (or believe we should keep) the seventh day (Saturday) as the Sabbath? Have customs and traditions other than those concerning which the day of the week is Sabbath caused changes in Sabbath worship? On what day of the week do you start looking forward to the Sabbath? Why do you think most people worship on Sunday? Why don’t they […]
1. Destroy or fulfill? If you make a promise and keep it, does the promise still exist? Or has it vanished? Since the law points to our errors and mistakes, what is there to love about it? Do you love the law? Are you relieved when you see traffic laws such as speed limits and traffic lights? What about God’s law? […]
1. Intro. We like to think that “other” churches teach the doctrines of men while “our” church believes in doctrines that are 100% from God. Is it possible for “our” church members today to prefer hand-me-down beliefs to the clear Word of God? Is it wrong to have religious traditions in our homes? If not, what sort of religious traditions do you believe would be most helpful […]
1. Introduction. What is your attitude toward the Mosaic law? When you read the Bible through, how do the descriptions of feasts and sacrifices and other rituals as described in the Old Testament affect you? Are you ever tempted to skim past those chapters and “get on with” the rest of the Bible? Why did Jesus and His earthly family follow the requirements […]
1. The law offends the evil one. What is there about the divine law that Satan hates so much? Since he can’t do away with it, how does he treat God’s law? How far into our daily lives does the law of God extend? Is everything that is sinful defined in God’s law? Everything? Why can’t God’s law exist without love?
1. A promise of persecution. Have you ever been persecuted? What do you think of Paul’s admonishing us with these startling words: “All who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted”? (2 Tim 3:12). What would you say if Peter was the preacher this week and said we’ve been called to follow in Christ’s steps that lead to suffering. Or […]
1. Choosing the Twelve. Did Jesus choose the twelve disciples because of their broad experience and proven leadership skills? Did He take a chance with each one? Or did He know they’d come out all right? But wait a minute. Did they? How could someone walk with Jesus day by day and then turn away from Him?
2. A few leaders. How did the dozens of other followers of Christ respond […]