1. Health and healing. How important was the healing ministry in earthly Jesus’ life? We’re told that Jesus spent more time healing than preaching. Was that a wise distribution of His power and love? Why? Should we as His followers and friends, spend more effort than we do in ministering to the frail? the sick? the weak? the fearful? How can we expand our efforts to [...]
[Thought questions for Discipling Children January 22, 2014
1. The Children’s Ministry. Do you remember special church times just for children? Sabbath school in a children’s division? Story time? Vacation Bible School? Or maybe even children’s church? How important is discipling children in your church family? In your home? By adding “in” after the “n” in “discipling,” have we spelled out a word for something we need more of for our children? Or not?
INTRODUCTION. What would you do if by some gigantic supernatural power you were denied the gift of prayer? Of course that can’t happen, but doesn’t the very thought of existing without prayer send a chill down your back? In this week’s lesson we consider the value of prayer in our role as God’s witnesses to others on earth.
1. The prayer of compassion. Is there even one [...]
Introduction. This week’s lesson may tweak your creative instincts searching for the connection between the topic for each day and the material presented. The first gap opens with Monday’s lesson, “Architectural Wisdom” which includes a brief paragraph about construction but nothing on architecture. Tuesday’s lesson, “Agricultural Analogies” hits the target with parables Jesus shared on the reception of the word by different types of soils, and [...]
1. Jesus and the Bible. Notice the caution built into the memory text. “Search the Scriptures;” it says, “for in them ye think ye have eternal life; and they are they which testify of Me.” (John 5:39). Read verse 40 of John 5 as well. Does the Bible bring us eternal life? If not, what is our only source of eternal life? Does the Bible play a [...]
The theology is understandable. The call to practicality is clear. What then do we need to “live” the faith?
[Thought questions for Exhortations from the Sanctuary December 25, 2013]
1. The Golden Chain. The earthly sanctuary had a High Priest who entered the presence of God as represented in the Most Holy Place. How does the physical entrance into His presence as described and carried out in the earthly sanctuary help us to understand the spiritual access for us as believers? Having a [...]
[Thought questions for The Cosmic Conflict Over God's Character December 18, 2013]
1.The big picture. Can knowing about the great controversy between Christ and Satan bring meaning to your own existence? How? The sanctuary is a living example of the plan or strategy to win this controversy. Do you see this plan in every symbol and operation of the sanctuary?
1. “I saw another angel.” What do the messages of the three angels of Revelation have in common? Or are their messages distinct and different? How do the angels communicate their urgent messages with believers on Planet Earth? Would you rather see them flying in the sky shouting the message? Or broadcasting from a celestial Powerpoint or hand-held device placed in each hand? What are some advantages [...]
Introduction. You’ll find a lot of unique Adventist theology packed into this week’s lesson. The “little horn,” for example. Even if you don’t agree that papal Rome is the little horn, you can hold on to the doctrine that Jesus is first and last and that He is not pleased when “innovations” from secular or pagan sources replace His the all-powerful, continual ministry in the heavenly sanctuary and in our hearts.
[Thought questions for The Eschatological Day of Atonement December 3, 2013]
1. Good news. Do you ever consider how the visions Daniel saw compared with the movies and videos and amazing cinematography of our day? How did Daniel describe what he saw so that others could understand the sequence of events that would bring ‘good news’ to succeeding generations? Imagine you were Daniel and this was your vision. How does the sequence of events in Daniel’s visions provide ‘good news’ for you? Who are the ‘people of the saints of the Highest One’, [...]