Sabbath School Net is an independent supporting ministry of the Seventh-day Adventist Church completely run by volunteers who consider it a privilege to give their time and effort to the work of spreading the Good News of Jesus Christ who promised:
“Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” (Luke 6:38)
If you have skills to contribute, we invite you to join us. Please familiarize yourself with our web site and the services we offer and perhaps leave an appropriate comment or two on the blog. Note that our site consists of a blog and an HTML site for the weekly lessons.
If you have an idea of what you can contribute – even if not listed below – please fill out our Volunteer form.
NOTE: Detailed instructions are provided for each position in private posts within Sabbath School Net. And we encourage cross training – i.e. learning a second responsibility and rotating responsibilities, so that a number of people can fill a number of different roles. If nothing else, it prevents boredom. 😉
Have you noticed that we feature the video of the Hope Sabbath School each week? Somebody has to put that up each week. It’s not a big job, but it must be done. If you enjoy the video and have just a little time to contribute early in the week, perhaps this is a job for you. And if you can find other helpful videos, we might just want you to put them up as well.
Teacher Helps Specialist
No, you don’t have to write lesson helps for us, but if you will proof-read the ones submitted to us and make sure they go up letter-perfect, that would be a help. Not a big job, but necessary and appreciated.
Daily Lesson Specialist
We provide weekly Sabbath School lessons in static HTML format and Daily lessons that appear on the blog and get sent out to 4,000+ recipients via email.
The task of preparing the Daily lessons involves:
- Copying one day’s lesson at a time from the weekly lessons, such as Lesson 2 on Discipleship and pasting it into the SSNET WordPress interface. The final result should look like Thursday: The Next Generation, for the Thursday lesson of that week.
- Examining the copy for reference links and adding formatting as necessary.
- Scheduling lesson for publication.
Instructions are provided. Lessons are prepared at least two weeks in advance.
A basic knowledge of HTML is helpful, but not necessary.
This is a key position with SSNET, since about 8,000 people are immediately affected if a lesson does not publish on time. A good work ethic and a sense of responsibility are a high priority.
(Gerald Greene is already doing a great job of this. However, we eventually hope to have two or three persons to share this responsibility.)
If you will go to our front page, you will see that each post is accompanied by an illustration.
We need a couple people to share the responsibility of picking out these images and inserting them in the posts.
This job involves:
- Becoming familiar with the post of the day and recognizing a dominant theme of the lesson.
- Picking out an illustration for the theme from either GoodSalt.com or a source of free images.
- Inserting the image in the post, according to instructions provided, and saving the post.
SEO Optimization Specialist
SSNET currently ranks first on Google for all things related to Sabbath School. And that’s just by doing what we do, without any special SEO optimization. But we want to keep it that way.
However, we also publish a lot of material that helps clarify and explain our teachings/doctrines. Yet a search for “SDA teachings,” “Adventist teachings,” “Adventist fundamental doctrines” or “Seventh-day Adventist teachings” does not bring up SSNET anywhere near the top. Yet, because of our content, we really should rank high for these key words.
We already have the Yoast SEO plugin installed on the blog, so the job is not difficult. However, it would involve becoming familiar with our blog content and making sure the relevant information is found and indexed by Google for the “doctrine” or “teachings” key words.
Having a good knowledge of HTML and FTP uploading would be helpful, because we have a sizable archive of old Sabbath School studies that needs to be optimized for doctrine/teachings searches. Again, this would involve becoming familiar with our content on the static HTML pages of our site.
This position is suitable for someone who is familiar with Seventh-day Adventist doctrines and has good problem-solving skills.
If you would like to donate your time and talents to spread the Good News as available on SSNET, please let us know by filling out Volunteer form. In the note field, let us know that this is the work you would like to do. If you could include a “Backgrounder” or resume, we’d appreciate it.
For the convenience and benefit of our users, we publish the text of Bible references and Ellen White references mentioned in each lesson. (See an example for Lesson 1 of the 2014 Q1 Discipleship lesson.)
This work is done about 3 months prior to the release of the lessons online. You will be working with the HTML web team.
The task involves:
- Finding and copying all the Bible references from BibleGateway.com or a similar site into a file
- Finding the Ellen White references at EGWritings.org and copying not only the portion in the lesson, but some of the context into a file.
- If the recommended reading is a whole chapter, we provide a link to EGWritings.org for the sake of those who have difficulty finding this for themselves.
- Uploading finished files to the web via FTP, if possible.
- Alternately, you can paste and copy your files into the WordPress interface of SSNET.org, which requires less technical knowledge.
Proof Reader for Blog Posts
This position would involve becoming familiar with all aspects of blog publication, including text and graphics insertion and formatting.
The task involves proof-reading all posts before publication and correcting errors within the WordPress interface.
This is not an entry-level position. We would expect any potential editor to do become familiar with some of the other jobs listed first while we become acquainted. Eventually, the job would involve helping to make decisions about the content and direction of the site, finding articles, writers, content to publish.
Site Optimization Specialist
This job includes a little more than is generally included under site optimization.
- Yes, we want the site faster, and that would mean making sure graphics are compressed. We would love to have someone who would be willing to take an occasional foray into the archives and compress graphics even in these posts.
- We would also like to see that our posts are all properly tagged, even the archived ones.
- Maybe we should call this job “Archive Optimization Specialist”?
Then you can fill out our application form, or, if you really don’t like forms (can’t blame you!), put most of your information in the “Message” section at the bottom of the form and include a backgrounder/resume. Sorry we can’t post an email address right here. (You wouldn’t want us to put a spam bot magnet right on this page, would you?)