- Lesson Index including Ellen White & Bible References
- Let’s Give Them Something to Talk About Rather than lecturing, Sabbath School teachers need to guide the discussion by giving class members something to talk about. Read the comments too. Good guide lines to follow.
- Click Here for More Resouces for Studying 1 and 2 Peter
- Other Resources below
Key Thought: Peter identifies the means by which we can be assured to make our calling and election sure and never fall. Lesson 9, May 27, 2017 1. Have a volunteer read 2 Peter 1:1-4. a. Ask class members to share a thought on what the most important point in this text is. b. What … [Click to read more …]
A precious faith. What is precious about the faith that Christ gives us? How long could we survive without that faith? For how much of that time would we be happy? How do we learn to love God? What are the elements of faith that make it possible to love Him? Can you and I, sinful … [Click to read more …]
A Precious Faith is obtained as a gift from God, says Sunday’s study, making one realise that we all would like to have such a faith. Hymn 533 – “O for a Faith” will enhance this sentiment. 2 Peter 1:4 raises Hymn 518 – “Standing on the Promises” as a reminder to all of the … [Click to read more …]
Peter’s Love for Jesus. No doubt you remember reading in the Bible the story of Peter’s reprehensible attitude when he spat out the words (NIV), “I don’t know Him,” and, a little later when he grumped, “Man, I don’t know what you’re talking about!” in reference to his association with Jesus. Now, centuries later, we remember … [Click to read more …]
The whole of this week’s lesson study brings out the beautiful Hymn 489, (or tune in 490), “Jesus, Lover of My Soul” as the basis of the study time. “The overarching theme” in the Bible reveals the work of God in Hymn 373, “Seeking The Lost”. Sunday’s study paints this picture clearly for us, and … [Click to read more …]
You may download the full lesson quarterly from Amazon in Kindle format (Canadian Link, UK Link) (If you don’t have a Kindle, download the reader for the PC, or the FREE app for mobile devices.) And you can also download the Kindle version of the companion book for the lesson by Robert McIver, First and Second Peter (Bible Bookshelf Series). (Canadian link, UK link) You can order the paper lesson in various formats from your Adventist Book Center (Call 1-800-765-6955).
Large Print and Teachers’ editions are available only at your local Adventist Book Center in paper format (shipping charges apply). You can also download PDF files for each week’s lesson at the Adult Bible Study Guide site, including the regular Adult Lessons, Easy English, Teachers’ editions. Spanish lessons are under “Other Languages.”
Ellen White Notes 2017b, Pacific Press version. (Amazon Canada link | Amazon Great Britain link.
Sabbath School Lesson Comments by Ellen White (Amazon US link) edited by J. L. MalmedeVanAllen. (Amazon Canada Link | Amazon Great Britain Link)
- GoBible.org Weekly teaching outlines posted by Bruce Cameron. (Also found at SabbathSchoolLessons.com
- Sabbath School Teaching Outlines available from the GC Sabbath School Department. (Click on the correct year and lesson.)
- Dr Ken Hart’s Sabbath School Class Often lively lesson discussion in a small group, composed of persons from various backgrounds, several weeks ahead of the time the lesson is scheduled to be studied in church. You may watch the class online, listen to it and download a PDF handout with a list of discussion questions. Podcast available.
- Sabbath School App in the iPhone and Android Apps Store includes the Teacher’s Edition. Download the app, click on the app, go to “More” (top right), go to Settings (bottom) and enable Teachers’ Content.
- You can learn to teach! Sabbath Schools are not intended to be catechizing classes. And that means that going through the lesson, question by question, and taking answers to the questions is not teaching. If you do not know how to do better than that, you can learn from good teachers. Watching how Derek Morris conducts the Hope Sabbath School (usually visible above) should help give you an idea of how a good class is run.
- One of the best books on the subject is Howard Hendricks’s Teaching to Change Lives.
- After reading and learning from Howard Hendricks’s Teaching to Change Lives, take a look at one or two of the other books mentioned here.
- The book Creative Bible Teaching also focuses on good teaching methods, but this one is specifically aimed at those teaching from the Bible.
- Also check out the Sabbath School Teacher Training Courses Online – training for teachers of various age groups.
- Bruce Wilkerson was a student of Dr Hendricks and includes a lot of anecdotes in his book, The Seven Laws of the Learner.
- You can subscribe to Weekly Teachers’ Helps (the same posts as you see on this page above) via email by subscribing to the blog RSS feed: Choose the “Teachers’ Aids Only” towards the bottom of the page
- Contemporary Comments Weekly commentary by email is often tied to a current American or world event. These may be used as an introduction to the current week’s study.