- Lesson Index including Ellen White & Bible References
- Let’s Give Them Something to Talk About Rather than lecturing, Sabbath School teachers need to guide the discussion by giving class members something to talk about. Read the comments too. Good guide lines to follow.
- Click Here for More Resouces for Studying 1 and 2 Peter
- Other Resources below
Strife in the church? Things are getting tense. What does Paul find in Peter’s experience in Antioch that trouble him? What would it have been like if you had been at that “potluck” as a friend of Peter’s? Imagine that you are an invisible guest in that church as you go through the issues and answers we consider this week. The question … [Click to read more …]
The word “Faith” in the title of this weeks’ lesson study opens a plethora of hymns in our Seventh-day Adventist Church Hymnal. Here are a few from which to choose to enhance your worship time: Hymn 100, “Great Is Thy Faithfulness” Hymn 132, “O Come, All Ye Faithful” Hymn 169 or 170, “Come, You Faithful” Hymn 304, ”Faith of Our … [Click to read more …]
Monday’s lesson, mentions circumcision, and if the Gentiles ever needed to be circumcised. Some have wondered why in the world God wanted the penis involved in a sign of loyalty. Some atheists have made fun of Christianity and the Bible over this topic. What we need to understand is, the penis was the part of the body Abraham was trusting … [Click to read more …]
1. Paul’s wish. Our lesson begins with this stunning question, after extolling the value of harmony in God’s church: Should unity be preserved at the cost of truth? Do we sometimes debate issues on the basis of who agrees with us (or them) rather than on the merits of a given position? 2. The importance of unity. According to his … [Click to read more …]
You may download the full lesson quarterly from Amazon in Kindle format (Canadian Link, UK Link) (If you don’t have a Kindle, download the reader for the PC, or the FREE app for mobile devices.) And you can also download the Kindle version of the companion book for the lesson by Robert McIver, First and Second Peter (Bible Bookshelf Series). (Canadian link, UK link) You can order the paper lesson in various formats from your Adventist Book Center (Call 1-800-765-6955).
Large Print and Teachers’ editions are available only at your local Adventist Book Center in paper format (shipping charges apply). You can also download PDF files for each week’s lesson at the Adult Bible Study Guide site, including the regular Adult Lessons, Easy English, Teachers’ editions. Spanish lessons are under “Other Languages.”
Ellen White Notes 2017b, Pacific Press version. (Amazon Canada link | Amazon Great Britain link.
Sabbath School Lesson Comments by Ellen White (Amazon US link) edited by J. L. MalmedeVanAllen. (Amazon Canada Link | Amazon Great Britain Link)
- GoBible.org Weekly teaching outlines posted by Bruce Cameron. (Also found at SabbathSchoolLessons.com
- Sabbath School Teaching Outlines available from the GC Sabbath School Department. (Click on the correct year and lesson.)
- Dr Ken Hart’s Sabbath School Class Often lively lesson discussion in a small group, composed of persons from various backgrounds, several weeks ahead of the time the lesson is scheduled to be studied in church. You may watch the class online, listen to it and download a PDF handout with a list of discussion questions. Podcast available.
- Sabbath School App in the iPhone and Android Apps Store includes the Teacher’s Edition. Download the app, click on the app, go to “More” (top right), go to Settings (bottom) and enable Teachers’ Content.
- You can learn to teach! Sabbath Schools are not intended to be catechizing classes. And that means that going through the lesson, question by question, and taking answers to the questions is not teaching. If you do not know how to do better than that, you can learn from good teachers. Watching how Derek Morris conducts the Hope Sabbath School (usually visible above) should help give you an idea of how a good class is run.
- One of the best books on the subject is Howard Hendricks’s Teaching to Change Lives.
- After reading and learning from Howard Hendricks’s Teaching to Change Lives, take a look at one or two of the other books mentioned here.
- The book Creative Bible Teaching also focuses on good teaching methods, but this one is specifically aimed at those teaching from the Bible.
- Also check out the Sabbath School Teacher Training Courses Online – training for teachers of various age groups.
- Bruce Wilkerson was a student of Dr Hendricks and includes a lot of anecdotes in his book, The Seven Laws of the Learner.
- You can subscribe to Weekly Teachers’ Helps (the same posts as you see on this page above) via email by subscribing to the blog RSS feed: Choose the “Teachers’ Aids Only” towards the bottom of the page
- Contemporary Comments Weekly commentary by email is often tied to a current American or world event. These may be used as an introduction to the current week’s study.