Evolution, interpreted as degrees of change over time, is a fact accepted by all educated Christians. However, evolution as an explanation of origins is not science, because it cannot be demonstrated to be true by the available evidence. No one was there when things began, and nothing can be reproduced in a lab setting. It is a theory that is not falsifiable. Thus evolutionary explanations of origins belong in the realm of philosophy – the same category as a creation explanation of origins.
Seventh-day Adventist Fundamental Belief 6 affirms the Genesis account of creation in six days. Furthermore, the biblical record indicates that life on this planet originated thousands of years ago, rather than billions of years ago.
Scientific Evidence for Creation of this Earth Thousands of Years Ago
Sites Dealing with Science and Creation:
- Science and Scripture – Adventist scientist Ariel Roth attempts to reconcile the authority of science and Scripture. Includes information about books, videos and discussions related to the controversy between the Bible and modern science.
- Earth History Research Center – Multi-lingual site sponsored by Southwestern Adventist University includes technical scientific papers dealing with various aspects of origins as well as information in simple question-and-answer format.
- The Emperor Has No Clothes – Naturalism and The Theory of Evolution – Sean Pitman deals with the statistical problems of the theory of evolution from genetics to geology, which suggests a recent creation as the most reasonable solution to the question of the origin of life on this planet.
- Creation and Science articles at the Geoscience Research Institute are mostly scientific papers, with some being more readable than others. Check out the sub-section of “Commentaries on Creation and Science,” which includes quite a number of published articles.
- A Creation Perspective – David Plaisted presents evidence that life is young with emphasis on populations genetics. Includes a testable theory of creationism and a precise boundary between micro and macro evolution.
- Creation – Darwin Revisited British Adventist site bills itself as “An Adventist Perspective on the Evolution/Creation Debate”
- Earth Science Associates: Fingerprints of Creation – Robert V. Gentry sees the polonium halos in granite as evidence for a young earth.
Overinterpretation of Radiohalos – Critique of Gentry’s work by members of the Geoscience Research Institute
- In the Beginning – Principles of the evolution-creation debate are examined through the eyes of college students as they visit significant sites and interview authorities in the field in this multimedia series of 13 episodes.
- Mike’s Origins Resource: Creation Science, Prophecy, Biblical Evidence – Molecular geneticist uses scientific and biblical evidence to investigate origins. Topics include pseudogenes, ancient DNA, biological time clocks, Carbon 14, flood geology, solar system, world history chart, prophecy.
- Scientific Theology: Online Book by Paul Giem – Develops a theology modeled on science and suggests corrections in current scientific thinking in areas such as origins of life. The most helpful section is probably the coverage of radiometric dating. HTML and PDF format.
- Evidences of a Recent Creation1, by Harold G. Coffin (PDF file)
- Science Finds God, by Ariel Roth.
- Catastrophism? Yes!, by Ariel Roth.
- Chance or design? The long search for an evolutionary mechanism, by Ariel Roth.
You’ll find videos at most of the links we supplied above, but here are a few more videos that may not have been otherwise linked.
- Ken Hart’s Sabbath School Class on Origins, Quarter 1, 2013. Videos then to run to an hour or longer. Format is a panel discussion.
- Origins at Second Look Seminars / Faith and Science Sabbath School Class. Paul Giem’s class records the Origins 2013 lessons a week or two ahead of the scheduled date. Videos seem to be created for Loma Linda residents, with the intro detailing how to find the classroom. They become more interesting a few minutes into the video.
- In the Beginning: Science and Scripture Confirm Creation. Paul Giem invites experts to his Sabbath School class to discuss issues surrounding science and Scripture.
- Understanding Creation: Presentations (many by the authors themselves) of chapters from the book Understanding Creation, edited by Humberto Rasi and James Gibson and published by Pacific Press Publishing Association (2011). From Paul Giem’s Sabbath School class.
Creation Resources for Kids
- Creation-Evolution Info Center at Guide Magazine
Theology of Creation
- Creation and the Bible articles at the Geoscience Research Institute are mainly word and textual studies in Genesis, but include three papers on Creation in the New Testament.
- The Found World of Genesis I:Is Theistic Evolution a Meaningful Option for Seventh-day Adventists? by Nicholas Miller
- The “Found” World of Genesis 1 Part II: How Does Science Inform Theology, by Nicholas Miller
- The Lost and Found World of Genesis 1, by Roy E Gane
- Creation in the New Testament, by Ekkehardt Mueller (PDF file
Materials for Teachers and Others Interested in the Science of Origins
- Articles on Teaching Faith and Science from the Geoscience Research Institute. These articles are relevant all the way up to and including university classrooms, and should be of interest to the informed lay reader.
- Archive of Geoscience Research Institute Newsletters include book reviews, current developments in science and creation.
- Teaching Resources at Geoscience Research Institute include resources for K-12, selected published hard-copy references, and reviews of videos of catastrophism and creation science. Also includes a bank of geology images
Links to Other Sites Relevant to Science and Creation
Please note that these are not Seventh-day Adventist sites and provide an overview of various viewpoints, including opposing evolutionary viewpoints.
- GlobalFlood.org online home of Dr. John Baumgardner’s work related to the Genesis flood, in which he demonstrates how his hypothesis matches observable data.
- In the Beginning: Compelling Evidence for Creation and the Flood by Dr. Walt Brown, a mechanical engineer. This online book (also available in hard copy) proposes a scientific model for the mechanics of the world-wide flood and how it may account for the geology we see today.
- Tas Walker’s Biblical Geology. An engineer who went back to university to study geology, Tas Walker presents a geological history model based on the biblical record of a world-wide flood.
- Institute for Creation Research. Includes popular as well as peer-reviewed research section.
- Creation Ministries International articles related to science and creation from a young-earth perspective. Publishes Creation Magazine – unique quarterly 56-page full-color family magazine focuses on God’s creation, suitable for K-12 students. Also publishes Journal of Creation, an in-depth, peer-reviewed comment, reviews and the latest research findings that relate to origins and the biblical account of Creation, the Flood and the Fall. 3 issues per year
- Creation Wiki -free encyclopedia from a creationist perspective.
- Creation Research Society - Professional organization of trained scientists and interested lay persons committed to scientific special creation. Publishes a popular bi-monthly magazine called Creation Matters, with online archives, as well as a peer-reviews journal, the CRS Quarterly, with selected articles available online.
- True Origins archive, a creationist response to the anti-creationist www.talkorigins.org
- Creation Science Movement British site described as the the oldest creationist movement in the world. Includes book reviews and archive of online journals.
- Origin of the Species by Charles Darwin with a 50-page introduction by creationist Ray Comfort. (PDF file)
- Answers in Genesis – Very readable, popular creation science site that promotes the idea that not only this earth but also the whole universe is only thousands of years old. Includes much good material, but has sometimes tended to accept spurious evidence in favor of a young earth.
- Links provided on the Geoscience Research Institute Site – links to both young-earth and old-earth sites.