As a church, we have been counseled that the “gospel of health” should be the “right arm” of our message. Accordingly, we are listing some selected health resources that actively recognize the relationship between Christ’s last message to the world and the “gospel of health.” These are intended to enable you to experience the “gospel of health” in your own life and prepare you to share it with others.
LifeStyleMatters.com (Use the “Explore” link at the top of the page.) Developed by Vicki Griffin and Evelyn Kissinger, these programs seamlessly integrate physical and mental health. Vicki is quite unapologetic about the approach and shares how even atheists have been known to appreciate the programs. The programs are relatively inexpensive, 3 and come with detailed training materials. Show more info
Neil Nedley Depression Seminar
We have had excellent experiences with the Depression – the Way Out seminar in our church. Attendees are extremely grateful. And the program lends itself well to integrating physical and spiritual wellness. The round-table discussions foster forming relationships. Show more info
CHIP – Complete Health Improvement Program
Founded by Hans Diehl, this well-tested and highly successful CHIP program (originally Coronary Health Improvement Program) is probably the grand-daddy of the modern Adventist health improvement programs. It probably added at least an extra 20 years to my own father’s life. CHIP is considerably more expensive than the Life Style Matters programs and also more expensive than the Neil Nedley programs. It takes a greater investment of both time and effort, but for those who can invest both, it is highly successful in reaching the higher classes of society. Show more info
Educate Yourself With These Resources
(Many are free)
Proof Positive: How to Reliably Combat Disease and Achieve Optimal Health Through Nutrition and Lifestyle, by Neil Nedley is a book devoted to demonstrating “Proof Positive” from the scientific literature that God’s plan for staying healthy works. It is written in language easily understood by the lay person and filled with charts, diagrams and other illustrations to make the material understandable. Many say that they find the book “hard to put down” because of its wealth of interesting information. It is also a good reference book to keep on hand, with its hefty 555 pages of text. Here’s a list of chapters:
- Principles For Optimal Health
- Good News About Cancer: It Can Be Prevented!
- Heart Disease: Conquering the Number One Killer
- Blocked Arteries: Clean Them Out Naturally
- The Truth About Fish
- One Nation Under Pressure [about stress]
- The Great Meat and Protein Myth
- Sweet Tooth, Bitter Harvest: The Sugar and Diabetes Study
- Melatonin: Agent for rest and Rejuvenation [Hint: Your body makes its own]
- Animal Disease and Human Health Risk
- Milk: Friend or Foe?
- The Frontal Lobe: The Crown of the Brain
- Stemming the Tide of Violence [About entertainment choices]
- Stress Without Distress
- AIDS and HIV: The Untold Story
- Dying for a Cigarette? Kick the Habit and Live
- Want a Drink? [Alcohol]
- Dealing With Bad Habits and Addictions
- Nutrition and the Environment
- Beyond the Leading Causes of Death
Vitamin K2 And The Calcium Paradox: How a Little-Known Vitamin Could Save Your Life, by Kate Rheaume-Bleue.
You’ve probably heard about Vitamin B12 and the fact that B12 deficiency is common in not only vegans but also people who eat animal products. But most of us know very little about fat-soluble Vitamin K2 which plays such a vital role in so many essential processes in our body, much less the fact that the menaquinone form is the most helpful supplement to take. The author seeks to remedy this deficiency in knowledge. The bottom line is that Vitamin K2 acts much like a hormone in conjunction with fat-soluble Vitamin D and Vitamin A.
Applying the information in this book could literally save your life – especially if you suffer from any of the following or are in danger of suffering from any of the following: osteopenia, osteoporosis, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, Alzheimer’s disease, cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, risk of cancer, prostate cancer, lung cancer, leukemia (the way K2 deals with leukemia is particularly fascinating), liver cancer, kidney disease, infertility, dental cavities.
Other interesting facts: Mothers taking in adequate Vitamin K2 can ensure that their children will have large enough jaws so that they won’t need braces. It may make for easier labor in child bearing.
Health Education Videos
Health Resources at Weimar’s Newstart – mainly videos when I checked. (Sep 18, 2014) More videos at the Newstart Wellness Club site. Also check out their Health Score Calculator – How healthy are you? (mostly free)
Health Education Articles
(All are free)
Health Education Lectures
- See Matthew 4:23, Matthew 9:35, Matthew 12:9-11, Mark 5:29-31, John 6:2, Acts 10:38 ↩
- See Luke 9:5-7, Acts 3:1-8, Acts 4:10-12, 1 Corinthians 12:9 ↩
- Prices listed on the website are retail. Churches get the bulk wholesale rate. Participants purchase necessary materials at retail rate, thus helping to cover expenses of the program. ↩
- And I just have to say that the Guilt-free Gourmet Cookbooks are just about the best cookbooks for a plant-based diet. The recipes are fairly simple, and they actually taste good! Check out some sample recipes. ↩
- You can also find a little more information at the Michigan Conference Health Ministries site. ↩
- Incidentally the video used the “Training the Trainers” is of an event I attended live at the British Columbia Conference in Canada. ↩