The Adult Sabbath School Bible Study Guides (once called Sabbath School Lessons) are prepared by the Office of the Adult Bible Study Guide of the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists.The 2014 fourth quarter’s Bible study is entitled, “The Book of James.”
You may click on the links in the side bar to go to the current weekly lesson in HTML format. Or you may study your lesson daily on our blog and exchange ideas with others from around the world on the topic of the current lesson study. You may order a print or Audio copy of this Bible Study Guide online at the Adventist Book Center. Related resources are also available at the SSNET Amazon Store. You can also study the book of James on your Kindle or in your Kindle Reading App Downloadable for free through this link.
The lesson organization in English provided at this web site is quoted directly from that source (Copyright 1995 -2014 by the Office of the Adult Bible Study Guide, General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists), and is used here by permission. You may contact the editors of the Adult Bible study guide by going to this page.
This quarter’s companion book was written by a different author than the lesson itself. Bertram L. Melbourne thus offers another perspective in The Practical Christian: Mouth, Money, and Mind.
You can read it on your Kindle, your computer, tablet or smartphone through a Kindle Reading App.
Another valuable resource is Ellen White’s book, Faith and Works (downloadable). Also check out James, The Brother of Jesus by Trudy J. Morgan-Cole, a creative imagining of what it could have been like to grow up as Jesus’ older half-brother.
Adult Sabbath School Bible Study Guides Online
- Archive of Adult Bible Study Guides in HTML format
- Current Adult Bible Study Guides in PDF format:
Sabbath School for mobile devices, such as iPhone, iPad, iPod, Android phones and tablets
- Kindle Edition of the lesson on “The Book of James.” (Click on the Image at left.)
- The iPhone and Android app produced by the Sabbath School and Personal Ministries department of the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists gives you access to print content from Beginner through the Adult Bible Study Guide. The app is simply called “Sabbath School.” It provides links to all lessons in PDF format, which are downloaded when you click on them. Also included are the Adult, Kindergarten and Primary audio podcasts, the Kindergarten animation podcast, the weekly reading of the Collegiate Quarterly, Sabbath School University video, Sabbath School University audio, and podcasts in various languages. Sabbath School Leaders can discover ideas in Cool Tools and access the Sabbath School Manual right from the app.The app is available for free in the Android app store. It is also available at the iTunes app store. Apple may charge a small fee for access.
- The Sabbath School Quarterly app for androids features the complete Adult Bible Study Guide, with links to a companion Bible app, just like our online lessons. It also includes sections for notes that are saved till needed in Sabbath School discussions. On your Android device, just go to Market and search for “Sabbath School Quarterly.” It’s a free app in the Books & Reference section. All it lacks is online discussion. For that you have to come back here.
- Ecole Sabbath android app is the French Sabbath School lesson and podcast.
Archives of Previous Sabbath School Lessons Online
- Sabbath Schools are not intended to be catechizing classes. And that means that going through the lesson, question by question, and taking answers to the questions is not teaching. If you do not know how to do better than that, learn from good teachers. One of the best books on the subject is Howard Hendricks’s Teaching to Change Lives.
- You can learn to teach! After reading and learning from Howard Hendricks’s Teaching to Change Lives, take a look at one or two of the other books mentioned here. Bruce Wilkerson was a student of Dr Hendricks and includes a lot of anecdotes in his book, The Seven Laws of the Learner.
- The book Creative Bible Teaching also focuses on good teaching methods, but this one is specifically aimed at those teaching from the Bible.
- For daily discussion of the Sabbath School lesson visit our daily lesson blog, or subscribe to the blog posts via email.
- Weekly Teacher Helps via email are available by subscribing to our Teacher RSS feed. On this list we distribute weekly helps Michael Fracker and Joyce Griffith. (You can see a sample here.)
- GoBible.org features weekly teaching outlines posted by Bruce Cameron.
- Contemporary Comments Weekly commentary, often tied to a current national or world event. These may be used as an introduction to the current week’s study.
Other Adult Sabbath School Resources
From Here to There: The incredible journey of the Adult Bible Study Guide – the fascinating story of the production of the Adult Bible Study Guide, where it travels, and what happens to some of the copies.
- Download the Sabbath School Handbook in PDf format -This is a very useful resource for Sabbath School Superintendents and all division leaders.
- Cool Tools for Sabbath School subscription-based resource digest for pastors, Sabbath School Superintendents, officers and teachers
- Lots of Resources at the Sabbath School Leadership magazine site
- Greeter Ministry Description
- Sabbath School Secretary Ministry Description
- Sabbath School Resources in our Amazon store
Audio, Video & Braille Resources for the Adult Sabbath School Bible Study Guides
Collegiate / Young Adult Resources
Youth Sabbath School Resources
Juniors & Teens Sabbath School Resources
Kids – Beginners to Primary
More Resources in our Links Section
Non-English Sabbath School Resources
Please note that we do not write or edit any of the Study Guides for any age group. You can click on the link to contact the editors of the Adult Bible Study Guide. For the editors of other lessons, please go to the appropriate site. Any comments made here, but addressing another site, will be deleted. We do not send out paper copies of anything. This is an internet ministry. Everything we offer is found on this site. Please explore the site before asking questions. If you still have questions after searching this site, you may contact us through the link under “About Us” in the menu. If you wish to comment on a lesson, you may do so under the appropriate lesson post.