1. Nature belongs to God. Have you ever turned your TV on to a nature program only to be sickened by the scenes of a lion conquering a deer and ripping it to death? Or of insects calmly devoring their mating partner after their own eggs are fertilized? Or a herd of elephants trampling an African village and destroying everything within it? Or a line [...]
[Thought questions for Creation and the Fall February 6, 2013]
1. Enmity from God. Why did God put enmity between the woman and the snake in the Garden of Eden? (Gen 3:15). How is that sense of hostility carried out even to this day? Why does the Bible refer to the devil as a snake or serpent throughout Scripture? Is there anything wrong with admiring and appreciating snake-like creatures today? Have you ever imagined what it must have been like to live on earth untouched by sin?
1. Depending on the Creator. What was God’s intention when He created mankind? Did He have a grand plan or did He just want to create a pleasant and invigorating environment for His new friends through eternity? Why do you think God laid down a firm rule about not eating from one of the many fruit-bearing trees in the Garden of Eden? Was it a test of obedience? Or was [...]
1. Genesis 2. Do you consider the first chapter of Genesis to be the only official account of creation? What about Genesis 2? Did Jesus consider both accounts to be valid? How do we know? In what ways would the story of the birth of the earth as we know it be less complete without the details of Genesis 2? Have you ever heard why [...]
1. Finished. Do you think God was exhausted when He finished the work of creation on this earth? Or was he enormously relieved and filled with satisfaction? What is the most important benefit of the Sabbath–to God? to man? Does a Sabbath day of rest fit best at the end of the regular week? Why? Should we thank God not only for creating the Sabbath, as magnificent [...]
1. He formed the earth. What does the Creation belief do for you as a Christian? Does the fact that the God who made you loves you with an everlasting love affect your worship of Him? Has it ever been hard for you to accept the belief that God formed the earth and all the universe with His [...]
1. Jesus the Creator of heaven and earth. Do you believe that Jesus created the heaven and earth? Does everyone you are discussing this week’s lesson with have a similar belief? Do you know of any Seventh-day Adventist who does not believe that God created the world? What is the purpose of this lesson topic for the next three [...]
1. What is utopia? Does the word ‘utopia” remind you of an ideal world where you would like to live? Or is the thought you associate most with “utopia” an unrealistic dream of a never-ever land? What about the millennium? Will that be utopia? What is a “year” in heaven? How long is a thousand years? Do you think we’ll sit idly on a grassy slope, [...]
1. Pivot point: The cross. How were people saved before the cross? Or were they? Is the cross symbolic? If so, what does it symbolize? What does it mean? What is the reality behind the symbol? When in human history did God begin offering the promise of redemption? If Satan was defeated at the cross, why does he keep tempting us?
1. The Christian. What is a Christian? By that definition, are you a Christian? Are you saved by your faith as a Christian? or by your works? What did the apostle James think about faith compared to works in the Christian life? Was he a legalist? Why or why not? Read a few verses in 1 Timothy 1. When Paul says the law is not made [...]