By His death on the cross Jesus triumphed over the forces of evil. He who subjugated the demonic spirits during His earthly ministry has broken their power and made certain their ultimate doom. Jesus’ victory gives us victory over the evil forces that still seek to control us, as we walk with Him in peace, joy, and assurance of His love. Now the Holy Spirit dwells within us and empowers us. Continually committed to Jesus as our Saviour and Lord, we are set free from the burden of our past deeds. No longer do we live in the darkness, fear of evil powers, ignorance, and meaninglessness of our former way of life. In this new freedom in Jesus, we are called to grow into the likeness of His character, communing with Him daily in prayer, feeding on His Word, meditating on it and on His providence, singing His praises, gathering together for worship, and participating in the mission of the Church. As we give ourselves in loving service to those around us and in witnessing to His salvation, His constant presence with us through the Spirit transforms every moment and every task into a spiritual experience. (Ps 1:1,2; Ps 23:4; Ps 77:11,12; Col 1:13,14; Col 2:6,14,15; Luke 10:17-20; Eph 5:19,20; Eph 6:12-18; 1 Thess 5:23; 2 Peter 2:9; 2 Peter 3:18; 2 Cor. 3:17,18; Phil 3:7-14; 1 Thess 5:16-18; Matt 20:25-28; John 20:21; Gal 5:22-25; Rom 8:38,39; 1 John 4:4; Heb 10:25.)
See also these Bible lessons from previous years:
- Growing in Christ (2012, 4Q) – Series of 13 lessons on the subject.
- Happy Are You! Citizens of the Kingdom - Series of 13 lessons on the Sermon on the Mount, published in 1998, is helpful for a study of Growing in Christ.
- Parables of Jesus: Stories of Love and Grace - Series of 13 lessons on the parables of Jesus, published in 1997 is also helpful on the subject.
- What Knowing God Means – Lesson 4 of the series God is Love, 1997.
- Growing Through the Word – Lesson 12 of the series, Thy Word is a Lamp Unto My Feet: The Bible for Today, 2007b.