“Humble yourselves in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you” (James 4:10 NASB)
Image © Pacific Press from GoodSalt.com
[thought questions for The Humility of Heavenly Wisdom November 11, 2014]
1. “He will exalt you.” Some struggling Christian might read these words by James and say, “Okay. Small price to pay. I’ll humble myself before the Lord, and he’ll make me important in the church—and elsewhere.” Is that the apostle’s intent when he wrote these words—to provide a lesson on how […]
Thursday’s section of this week’s Sabbath School lesson asks:
Have you ever messed up really badly and when you expected only condemnation and judgment, you were given mercy, grace, and forgiveness instead?
Peter vowed to follow Jesus even if it cost him his life. When Jesus was arrested, Peter whipped out his sword and swung at a soldier’s head, catching only his ear. Then Peter found himself in the judgment hall.
A servant girl came over and said to him, “You were one of […]
Friday’s section of this week’s Sabbath School lesson asks,
“What do you say to those who claim that because of the grace of Christ, they are free from the law? What do they often really mean by that, and how would you answer them?”
I have heard Christians tell me not to worry about keeping the law because we are no longer under the law. We are under grace. Funny thing is, they only tell me that when it comes to Sabbath keeping. […]
[Thought questions for Christ, the Law and the Gospel May 28, 2014]
1. Memory text. Does the word “but” in the memory text (John 1:17) trouble you in any way? (…the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth…through Jesus Christ…) Could you explain to someone that this does NOT mean that the law has no place in the gospel of Jesus Christ? Does law contradict grace in any way? What is the end result of the law–and grace–in our hearts?
[Thought questions for The Law of God and the Law of Christ May 21, 2014]
1. The law of God and the law of Christ. Are we guided by two laws? One the law of the God eternal and almighty, the other of Christ the Saviour? If you think so, what is different about these two laws? During Jesus’ ministry on earth, which law did He follow and preach? Why?
Image © Jeff Preston from GoodSalt.com
2. The relevance of the Ten Commandments. […]
It was a simple question: “What are you doing here?” Standing in a cave after fleeing for his life, Elijah recounts the lament of his soul. His recent conquests for God appear to have taken a turn for the worse. Feeling alone and confused, this man of great experience, has all but given up and resigned himself to defeat. Elijah is in a crisis and he needs a word from the Lord.
Instructed to stand on the mount to hear from […]
In an effort to “get us,” the enemy tells us lies, half-truths and even complete truths (in deceptive ways) in his effort to get us to doubt our Salvation. Let’s look at a few of his arrows.
Image © Krieg Barrie from GoodSalt.com
Satan says that God doesn’t really love us
One of Satan’s most successful lies is that God doesn’t really love us at all – that He’s out to get us.
Satan will point to things that are happening in our […]
“But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: ‘God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.’ Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you” (James 4:6, 7, NKJV).
Image © Standard Publishing from GoodSalt.com
[Thought questions for Reformation: The Willingness to Grow and Change September 4, 2013]
1. The gift of grace. Without grace, could we ever experience the joy of eternity with God? Why is that? Is spiritual revival a […]
We’ve had a tremendous amount of rain this year, with five inches just last Friday. When I was driving in the pouring rain with the grandchildren, I told them we needed a boat, as every now and then, the water splashed up 20 feet or so on either side of the van. When the sun came out the next day, we saw washed-out driveways and big pot holes where the rain had washed away parts of roads. It […]
One of my life-long battles has been with colas. Actually I can’t honestly say I have battled it my whole life, which may be part of the problem.
Image © Lars Justinen from GoodSalt.com
I am not going to debate temperance vs. abstinence concerning colas, but let’s face it, they have 0% nutritional value, and if you drink too much you have the risk of cancer, diabetes and acid re-flux. So you can’t really say the nutritional value is worth all […]